How to transfer your site content to SiteGround?
SiteGround support team will be happy to assist you with the transfer of your website from the server of your previous host to your new server ate SiteGround. If you request the transfer within 30 days after sign up the service will be free of charge.
In this section you will find answers of the following questions:
- How to request website transfer help?
- How to transfer your website content yourself?
- Do not forget to change DNS settings!
To request SiteGround support service to transfer your website, you need to be logged into your Customer Area first. Then in the Support section click the Transfer Website button:
Note: If your previous host is running cPanel control panel, we can copy your whole account (pages, e-mail accounts and everything else you keep inside your account). However, if your previous host is not running cPanel, we can only copy the files/folders and databases, but not your e-mail accounts and/or other account settings.
If you would like to transfer your website content yourself, here are some guidelines you might need:
- Create a backup of your site on the current hosting server and download it to your local computer.
- If you have any MySQL/PostgreSQL databases, and the backup facility does not archive them, create a dump of those and download them as well.
- Upload the backup files to your SiteGround account and extract them. To learn how to upload files to your web hosting account, please check our FTP tutorial.
- Import the database dumps to newly created databases. This is easily done with the phpMyAdmin tool in your cPanel. Please note that the imported file size cannot exceed 50 megabytes!
Please do not forget that after the file transfer is completed you should change the DNS settings of your domain name so that it points to your SiteGround account. Otherwise people will continue to access the old location of your website (at your old host) by typing your domain. Click here to learn how to do this.