This tutorial covers the following topics:
Domain Name Transfer Benefits
Domain name transfer is an extra service that makes managing your hosting and domains more convenient since it spares you the need to communicate with two separate organizations. Along with a domain name transfer, you get an additional 1-year renewal for the most popular generic top-level domains (.com, .net, .org, .info etc.). With SiteGround, you will be automatically notified when your domain expiration date is approaching. If you decide to upgrade your account, we will take care of the domain redirecting. Here are all domain extensions that you can transfer to SiteGround.
How to Transfer Your Domains to SiteGround
To transfer your domain to SiteGround, you need to be logged into the User Area. Go to the tab Add Services → Domain Transfer → Get button.
Enter your domain name in the type-in box of the Product Information window and click Check Domain Status.
Our system will automatically check its status and inform you about the information needed for initiating the domain transfer. Read more about the different types of Domain Name Statuses in this article.
Domain Transfer Requirements
There are several requirements your domain should meet before we can initiate the transfer:
- The domain name must be in "Active" status. Most registrars set the status of the domain names to "Locked" by default, so you need to unlock the domain name first from the control panel of the current registrar. This is not required for .co.uk and .org.uk domain names.
- There must be more than 15 days until the expiration of the domain.
- The domain name must have been initially registered more than 60 days ago. Note that this is not valid for some country specific extensions, such as .it domains.
- You must have the EPP code (Authorization code) for the domain. You can obtain it from the current registrar. This is not required for .co.uk and .org.uk domains.
- You must have access to the administrative email for that domain because an email will be sent to it, which you need to open to authorize the procedure. If you have Domain ID Protect service enabled for the domain, please disable it first, so that the authorization email is sent to your real email address. This is again not required for .co.uk and .org.uk domains.
- Only for .co.uk and .org.uk domains you must set the TAG attribute for your domain name to TUCOWS-CA (SiteGround’s Domain name registrar).
Initiating Your Domain Transfer
If all of the requirements above are met, you will have to specify the EPP code, confirm that you have access to the administrative email address for the domain name, and update if necessary the domain owner info. When ready, complete the order and the transfer will be automatically initiated.
If the EPP key you provided was correct, then the transfer will immediately be initiated and you will be notified when it is completed.
Confirming Your Domain Transfer
If the EPP was incorrect, you will receive an email on the domain's administrative email address that should be used to confirm the domain transfer. You have to follow the instructions. You may receive a second email from your current registrar asking you to confirm the transfer again. When the operation is complete, you will receive a welcome email from SiteGround.
Read more about the different stages that might occur after you have ordered a domain name transfer to us in this article.