This tutorial provides information on the options you can change for your Cloudflare CDN service. Note, that some of the options are available only for Cloudflare PLUS users. If you try to enable feature available only for the PLUS users, you will be provided with a link to upgrade your Cloudflare CDN service.
Basic Cloudflare Settings
On the Settings tab, you will see a list of options that you can enable or disable for the selected domain.
The options, you can configure are as follows:
- Cache Purge: The Purge button will clear the cached content for your site. You can use it if you want to immediately preview any changes you've made to your site.
- Cloudflare Security Settings: Adjust the basic security level to modify which visitors Cloudflare will limit from visiting your website. A Low security setting will prevent only the most threatening visitors from accessing your site. A High security setting will block all visitors that have exhibited threatening behavior within the last 14 days. Essentially off will act only against the most grievous offenders. We recommend starting out at low. I'm Under Attack Mode should only be used when a site is having a DDoS attack. Visitors will see a processing page for about five seconds while we analyze the traffic and behavior to make sure it is a legitimate human visitor trying to access your site.
- Always Online: Always Online keeps your site online, even if your server goes down. Cloudflare will serve pages from the cache, so your visitor still sees some of the pages they are trying to visit. Your visitor will see a message at the top of the page telling them that they are in offline browsing mode. As soon as your server comes back online, Cloudflare will bump users back to regular browsing seamlessly. If Cloudflare does not have the requested page in its cache, the visitor sees an error page letting them know that the website page they are requesting is offline.
- Email Obfuscation Parameters: By enabling the Email Address Obfuscation Cloudflare feature, Cloudflare will encrypt email addresses on your web page from bots, while keeping them visible to humans. There are no visible changes to your website for visitors.
- Railgun: accelerates the connection between Cloudflare and the SiteGround server. It uses web performance optimization technology to increase considerably the delivery speed of uncacheable dynamic and personalized content. To take advantage of it you need to switch it ON.
- SSL Support: Use this option if you want your website to open via HTTPS. If you already have an SSL certificate for your domain name installed on the SiteGround server you need to set the setting to Full (Strict). After a few minutes the website should start working properly via HTTPS.
Cloudflare Plus Settings
- Web Application Firewall: WAF sits in front of your web application and uses rule sets to block common or new attack styles providing enhance security to your website.
- Polish: Image Optimization - Strips metadata and compresses your images for faster page load times. Basic: Reduce the size of PNG, JPEG, and GIF files - no impact on visual quality. High: Further reduce the size of JPEG files for faster image loading. Larger JPEGs are converted to progressive images, loading a lower-resolution image first and ending in a higher-resolution version. Not recommended for hi-res photography sites. For the service to take effect immediately, you will have to purge the cache.