How to Use Cloudflare CDN with an SSL
To configure your CloudFlare to work through SSL, just login to cPanel and open the CloudFlare tool. Then, click on the Settings tab top open the configuration panel. In it, you will see the SSL Support drop-down configuration. It has four options that you can choose from:
- Off: no secure connection between your visitor and CloudFlare, and between CloudFlare and your web server either. This means that visitors can only view your site via HTTP, and any attempts to connect via HTTPS will be returned a HTTP 301 Redirect to the HTTP version of your site.
- Flexible: secure connection between your visitor and CloudFlare, but not between CloudFlare and your web server. You don't need to have an SSL certificate on your account, but your visitors still see the site as being HTTPS enabled.
- Full: secure connection between your visitor and CloudFlare, and secure connection (but not authenticated) between CloudFlare and your web server.
- Full Strict: secure connection between the visitor and CloudFlare, and secure and authenticated connection between CloudFlare and your web server. You will need to have your server configured to answer HTTPS connections, with a valid SSL certificate.
If you have a Let's Ecnrypt certificate installed and configured for your website, we would recommend that you select the Full Strict option. Let's Ecnrypt certificates are renewed automatically, so that's the best option in this case. However, if you use a regular, paid SSL certificate, your site won't be accessible if it is expired and you don't change the CloudFlare settings to Flexible or Off.
For details on how to configure some of the popular applications please check the following articles:
- How to configure Magento to work with a new SSL domain?
- How to configure osCommerce to work with a new SSL domain?
- How to configure Zen Cart to work with a new SSL domain?
- How to configure WordPress to work with a new SSL domain?
If you are unsure how to reconfigure your site feel free to contact our support team.