How to transfer emails over IMAP from non-cPanel servers?
In case your previous hosting provider has not used cPanel and the transfer email accounts and messages between cPanel servers procedure is not applicable for you, but you still want to transfer your emails to SiteGround, please follow the steps below:
1) Create the email addresses in the cPanel of your SiteGround account.
2) Install a local email client on your computer (Outlook, Thunderbird, Mac Mail, etc.) and configure it to work with the settings of previous hosting provider (you can find those settings in your account there).
3) When configuring your email account, set it to work with IMAP.
4) In the same mail client add and configure the same email account – (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org) – but with SiteGround IMAP settings this time. You can find those in your cPanel -> Email Accounts -> More (button next the email@example.com email address) -> Configure Email Client. Make sure to use the SiteGround sever's hostname as incoming and outgoing server to avoid connecting to the old mail server. You can easily find out what the server's hostname is by looking it up in the Account Information section in your cPanel.
5) Here comes the easy part - transfer your emails by dragging the content of each folder you have from the first firstname.lastname@example.org to the second (the one with SiteGround configuration).
6) Once you complete the email transfer you can safely remove the first email@example.com and to continue using your mail account with SiteGround.
7) To host your domain's email with SiteGround, you will also have to update the domain's MX records. More information on the MX setup can be found here.
cPanel is easy to work with when you have the right host to support you. If you need a reliable partner to help you manage your website with cPanel, check out our cPanel hosting services!