How to transfer your emails from any server to us over IMAP?
If you are looking to keep the content of your email accounts hosted with your previous hosting provider and to transfer your messages to SiteGround, you can achieve this by following the steps below:
- Recreate the email addresses in your SiteGround account.
- Install a local email client on your computer (Outlook, Thunderbird, Mac Mail, etc.) and configure it to work with the settings of the previous hosting provider (you can find those settings in your account there).
- When configuring your email account, set it to work with IMAP.
- In the same mail client add and configure the same email account – (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org) – but with SiteGround IMAP settings this time. You can find those (including incoming and outgoing server) in the Email section of your SiteGround account. Make sure to use the SiteGround server's hostname as the incoming and outgoing server to avoid connecting to the old mail server.
- Here comes the easy part - transfer your emails by dragging the content of each folder you have from the first email@example.com to the second one (the one with SiteGround configuration).
- Once you complete the email transfer you can safely remove the first firstname.lastname@example.org and continue using your mail accounts with SiteGround.
- To host your domain's email with SiteGround, you will also have to update the domain's MX records. More information on the MX setup can be found here.
cPanel is easy to work with when you have the right host to support you. If you need a reliable partner to help you manage your website with cPanel, check out our cPanel hosting services!