How to establish SFTP connection with Transmit on MAC OS
In order to establish an SFTP connection with Transmit 5 on your MAC OS you should:
- Create a folder your computer called keys and then open Terminal from Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal.
- In Terminal navigate to folder where you want to create the key, for example:
- Then execute the following command:
ssh-keygen -t rsa
- Provide file name (example: keys101), do NOT put in a password and press enter on password fields. Adding a password during the creation of the key pair will result in failure to load the key in terminal.
- Open the keys folder with Finder and you will see two keys - keys101 and keys101.pub. Right click on “keys101.pub” and choose Open With -> Other. Choose TextEdit then click Open. Then highlight all the contents of the file, right click and click on "Copy".
- Go to cPanel of your hosting account and access the SSH/Shell Access tool. Scroll down to Upload SSH Key area. Right click in the Public Key box and choose "Paste".
- Put in your local computer IP address or leave Allowed IP address blank and then click on Upload. Your public key is now loaded onto the server.
- Open Transmit 5, click on SFTP, then click on the "+" button in the lower left. This will open the Settings page where you must provide your hosting account information. Do not provide a password. "Server" needs to be the hostname of your server, "User Name" is the cPanel username, "Port" is 18765, and "Remote Path" is public_html.
- Click on the Key icon in the "Password" section. This will open a popup with the Keys available. Click on "Edit", which will open the keys settings. Afterwards click on the "+" sign, then use the "Import keys" option. This will open Finder and you should navigate to the folder you put the keys in the first step. Select keys101 (not keys101.pub).
- Next, close the "Key" settings window and click again on the Key icon under the Server settings. Select the previously imported key and click "Add to servers".
- Now the connection should be listed in the Servers section in Transmit. Double click on the connection in Servers to open SFTP connection to the server.
Note: Loading the key in Transmit 4 is slightly different so if you are using that version, please follow the steps below:
- Click on the Key icon in the "Password" section. This will open Finder and you should navigate to the folder you put the keys in the first step. Select on keys101 (not keys101.pub) and click Choose Key File.
- You should be returned to the Settings page, just click Save. Now the connection should be listed in the Favorites section in Transmit.
- Double click on the connection in Favorites to open SFTP connection to the server.
You find this article useful? Click here to learn more about SiteGround web hosting experts and what else we can do for you!