How to transfer your website to another host
Basically, moving a website to another host consists of the following steps:
1. Moving the website's files.
2. Moving the website's database(s) (if it uses any).
3. Reconfiguring your application(s) to work at the new location.
4. Pointing your domain's DNS to the new host.
1. The most convenient way to transfer your website's files to your new web hosting account is through FTP. You can connect to your other hosting account and download the files locally. Then you should upload them to your hosting account's main folder (usually public_html, www or httpdocs).
More information on how to use FTP can be found in our FTP tutorial.
2. Transferring the databases is a little bit more complicated. You have to export the information from your old hosting account, create a new database in your current hosting account and import the information in it. For detailed information on how to import/export databases you can refer to this tutorial.
3. How to configure your website to work from its new location in most cases depends on the speciffic application you are using. For step by step instructions on how to reconfigure some of the most popular applications, you can refer to these articles:
- How to reconfigure Joomla 1.5
- How to reconfigure Drupal
- How to reconfigure WordPress
- How to reconfigure osCommerce
- How to reconfigure ZenCart
- How to reconfigure CubeCart
- How to reconfigure Mambo
- How to reconfigure CS-Cart
- How to reconfigure SMF
- How to reconfigure CRELoaded
- How to reconfigure phpBB2
4. Finally, you have to change the nameservers for your domain name to those of your new host. Information on how to find your DNS records can be found in this article.
You need help with an application? SiteGround is specialized in hosting and supporting more than 200 scripts. Sign up for our web hosting services and let us help you with your application, 24/7!