How to transfer your website to another host
Moving a website to another host consists of the following steps:
- Moving the website's files.
- Moving the website's database(s) (if any).
- Configuring your application to work at the new host.
- Pointing your domain's DNS to the new host.
A more detailed breakdown of these steps can be found below:
Transferring the files to the new host
The most convenient way to transfer your website's files to your new web hosting account is via FTP. You should connect to your hosting account and download the files locally to your computer. Then you have to upload them to your new hosting account's main folder (usually public_html, www or httpdocs).
More information on how to use FTP can be found in our FTP tutorial.
Transferring the website's databases
You have to export the database content from your old hosting account (usually into an SQL file), create a new database at your new hosting company and import the information in it. For detailed information on how to import/export databases via phpMyAdmin you can refer to this tutorial.
Application setup on the new host
This really depends from the website application that you are using. For step-by-step instructions on how to reconfigure some of the most popular applications, you can refer to these articles:
- How to reconfigure WordPress
- How to reconfigure Joomla 1.5
- How to reconfigure Joomla 2.5
- How to reconfigure Drupal
- How to reconfigure osCommerce
- How to reconfigure ZenCart
- How to reconfigure CubeCart
- How to reconfigure Mambo
- How to reconfigure CS-Cart
- How to reconfigure SMF
- How to reconfigure CRELoaded
- How to reconfigure phpBB2
Finally, you have to change the nameservers for your domain name to point to your new host. This can be done at your domain Registrar. Information on how to find your SiteGround DNS records can be found in this article.
You need help with an application? SiteGround is specialized in hosting and supporting more than 200 scripts. Sign up for our web hosting services and let us help you with your application, 24/7!