How to run the MediaWiki update script through a browser?
By default, when upgrading MediaWiki, you have to run the update.php file from a command prompt.
This becomes a problem if you don't have SSH access to your account. Fortunately, there is a way to run the script through your browser. Follow the steps below to complete the process:
- Rename LocalSettings.php to something else (e.g. LocalSettings-old.php)
- Open your site in the browser and start the installer
- Fill in the fields using the same details (MySQL user, database, password) as the ones for the existing installation
- Start the installation - the install script will detect the existing database tables and upgrade their schema
- Delete the newly-generated LocalSettings.php file
- Rename the old file (LocalSettings-old.php) to LocalSettings.php
This will complete the MediaWiki upgrade.
You need help with an application? SiteGround is specialized in hosting and supporting more than 200 scripts. Sign up for our web hosting services and let us help you with your application, 24/7!