How to establish a SFTP connection to your hosting account with FileZilla
In this knowledge base article are listed the steps which should be completed in order to establish a SFTP connection to your hosting account with the FileZilla FTP client:
- Open your cPanel -> SSH/Shell Access and generate new SSH key pair.
- After you have generated your SSH key pair click on the private key link at the bottom of the page corresponding to the key pair that you have just generated.
- Copy the content of the text area, paste it in an empty file on your computer and save it (most FTP client requires .ppk format).
- Open FileZilla, click the FileZilla button from the menu then select Settings.
- Select SFTP from the left menu.
- Click the Add keyfile… button and select the file that you have just created with the private key pasted inside.
- You will be prompted to convert the file to a supported but unprotected format (no password), confirm it by clicking the Yes button and type your password.
- FileZilla will ask you to store the key in the putty format. Save it somewhere on your computer.
- Connect to your server using the following login credentials:
SFTP Server: sftp://siteground_hostname.com (where siteground_hostname.com is the server where your hosting account resides and it might be checked from your UA -> Account Information or cPanel -> top left corner, next to Server Hostname. Also do not forget to add sftp:// before the server name)
SFTP Username: your cPanel username
SFTP Password: your cPanel password
SFTP Port: 18765 (the default SSH port for the SiteGround's servers since SFTP is FTP over SSH)
Keep in mind that the username and the password for the connection to your hosting account via SFTP are the same as your cPanel's username and password and you can not connect with an FTP account that you have created via your cPanel -> FTP Accounts.
Your cPanel username and hosting server details are listed in your User Area -> My Accounts -> Information & Settings page.
- During your first connection you will be prompted to store the server's fingerprint. Click the OK button to continue connecting and tick the "Always trust this host, add this key to cache" check box if you plan to connect to the same server again.
FTP is easy to set up and work with when you have the right host to support you. Check out what SiteGround’s FTP hosting offers and sign up for our services so you could rely on expert FTP assistance!