Can I access directly Awstats without going through the cPanel?
Yes, it is possible to access your AWStats directly through your domain name.
However, doing this requires you to add a script to your site and configure it. In other words you need to manually install AWStats for your domain. Still SiteGround recommends to keep statistics for your domain names private and access them via cPanel.
In order to install AWStats on your domain you can follow the steps below:
- Download Awstats from their website here.
- Extract the contents of the file to your computer.
- Use an FTP client (or File Manager in cPanel) to upload the contents of both the cgi-bin and icon folders into the root directory of your domain.
- Change the permissions of the awredir.pl and awstats.pl files to 755 (in the cgi-bin directory). You can do that with your FTP client.
- The next step is to download the AWStats configuration file from your account to your local computer from ~/tmp/awstats/awstats.yourdomain.com.conf,
- Open this file with a text editor and go to the "DirIcons" line. Change the value to: DirIcons="/icon/".
- Upload the modified file to the cgi-bin folder.
- Now you can access your statistics at http://www.yourdomain.com/cgi-bin/awstats.pl?config=yourdomain.com
Note that the Update button in the AWStats software will not work if you access the tool outside of cPanel. This is because the application does not have sufficient permissions to write inside the system folders of the account, but can only read them. To update the statistics, you should use the Update button in the cPanel AWStats tool, which will also update the stats in the AWStats application that you installed manually on your account.
cPanel is easy to work with when you have the right host to support you. If you need a reliable partner to help you manage your website with cPanel, check out our cPanel hosting services!