How To Optimize Joomla 1.0?
Here are some tips on how to improve the performance of your Joomla 1.0 website:
- Enable the caching for Joomla. This will signifficantly improve the performance of your website. You can do that from the Global Configuration menu -> Cache tab;
- Disable/remove all extensions from your website that you are not using;
- Reduce the number of articles which appear on your front page;
- Optimize your Joomla database by following the instructions in our article on How to optimize a MySQL database;
- Check that you have not turned on statistics in your administrator backend. The Joomla 1.0.x statistics can create a heavy load on a busy site and should not be used on anything except the smallest, low-traffic sites. For more information on that matter, follow our tutorial on How to disable the statistics extensions in Joomla 1.0.x;
- If you are using a forum extension, make sure you require from your visitors to register prior searching and posting in your forum. In addition, you should install a CAPTCHA plugin or enable such core functionality if present in order to protect your board from spam bots;
- Use the PhpMyAdmin tool to check for big tables in your Joomla database. You can then check which extension uses this table and remove it from your website
Usually, such issues are caused with old forum extensions that are attacked by spam bots. The tables that store the forum posts get filled with spam and become really big. This slows the entire performance of your website. Such tables should be deleted manually using the PhpMyAdmin tool. To delete a table mark the check box left to it and click on the red cross icon. Confirm the changes to permanently erase the table.
Make sure you are deleting tables, created by extensions you have already uninstalled from the Joomla back end! If you delete any of the Joomla's core tables this will render your website to be inaccessible!