How to transfer my existing domain name to SiteGround
When you start using your new hosting account with us, it may be quite inconvenient to leave your domain name to be managed by your old host. If you do that you will have to communicate with two different organizations: one will be providing the hosting services for your website and the other will be providing domain registration services for your website. In order to move your existing domain and manage it together with your SiteGround hosting account you just need to order the domain transfer extra service.
In this section you will find answers of the following questions:
- How to Order Domain Transfer?
- Transfer process for domains: .com; .net; .org; .us; .biz; .info
- Transfer process for .co.uk and .org.uk domains
To transfer your domain name to SiteGround you need to be logged into your Customer Area. At the bottom of My Account section you will find listed all external domains, that are associated with a hosting account but are not registered by SiteGround. You can initiate the transfer of such a domain by clicking the button Transfer:
If you want to transfer another domain not listed in My Accounts section, you can order it through the Order section by clicking the Add button next to Domain Transfer extra service:
There are several requirements, which your domain name should meet before we can initiate the transfer process. Once you enter your domain in the transfer order form our system will automatically check the following and instruct you what to do if any of the below requirements are not met:
- If the domain name to be transferred is in 'active' status.
- If there are more than 15 days till the domain name expiration date.
- If the domain name was registered for the first time more than 60 day ago
If the requirements are met you will be requested to fill in the rest of the needed information in the transfer form:
You will have to enter the domain name Authorization code (EPP code). In case you do not have it, please contact your Domain Registrar to get it.
You will also have to confirm you have access to the administrative contact email address for the domain. After initiating the transfer, you will receive an email from ENOM or TUCOWS (our Domain Registrars) on behalf of SiteGround on this email address. This email is very important as it would require you to confirm the transfer of your domain name to our company. To do this, you just have to follow the instructions and click on the link included in the email. You may also receive a second email from your current registrar asking you to confirm the transfer once again. If this happens it will help to speed up the process.
The domain transfer one-time fee includes 1 year of free domain registration! In other words, if your domain name expires in June 1, 2006 the expiration date would be changed to June 1, 2007 after the transfer process is completed.
Transferred domain names cannot be renewed with your account for free and you will have to pay renewal fee at the end of the registration period in order to keep them active. The domain transfer takes up to 2 weeks. However, if you want to use this domain with your SiteGround account before you transfer it to us, you need to point it to the SiteGround servers by changing its DNS settings. Click here to learn how to do that. Please bear in mind that you would not be able to change the DNS settings of the domain name during the transfer process!
The .co.uk and .org.uk transfers can be ordered from the customer area too as described above. However, there are few differences in the terms for transfer of these domain name extensions:
- There is a fee for the transfer of .co.uk and the .org.uk domains.
- The domain may receive between 0 and 24 months added to its expiration date as part of the transfer depending on the time of the transfer and the losing registrar. SiteGround cannot guarantee how many months will be added and the transfer price does not depend on this.
- The .co.uk and .org.uk have a special TAG attribute, which should be set to TUCOWS-CA before the transfer can be initiated.
- No active status, no EPP key code and no administrative email access are required for the .co.uk and the .org.uk transfer.