jGeoIPFilter is a Joomla module designed by SiteGround that allows you to perform different actions on your website depending on the geographic location of your visitors. For example, this module allows you to redirect all visitors from England to the English version of your website and all visitors from Germany - to the German version of your pages.
On this page you will find detailed information about:
The SiteGround jGeoIPFilter module can be installed in the same way as every standard Joomla extension.
First, the extension package should be downloaded on your local computer. In order to do this press the Download button above and follow the instructions.
If you are installing the extension to a Joomla 1.5 site go to Extensions -> Install/Uninstall page. If you are using the Joomla 2.5 (or the older 1.7/1.6) version click on the Extensions -> Extension Manager menu.
In this page, click on the Browse button and locate the extension package on your local hard drive. Then click the "Upload File & Install Button". The module will be installed and added to your Joomla application.
Last, go Extensions -> Module Manager page. On it locate the jGeoIPFilter plugin and click on "enable" icon next to it. This will activate the plugin.
For more information on how to install the extension check our Joomla 1.5 and Joomla 2.5 tutorials depending on the version you are using.
You can configure the jGeoIPFilter module from the Plugin Manager page in your Joomla Administrative area. Once there, click on the jGeoIPFilter module label to enter its settings page. The configurable parameters you can change according to your needs are:
- GeoIP Database File - Defines the location of the GeoIP database file. The path is relative to your Joomla installation folder. You should not change this setting unless you want to use different database to bind IP addresses with countries.
- Filter by country - Here you can select the countries whose access will be filtered for your web site. You can pick multiple countries by holding the Ctrl keyboard key.
- Proxy Filter - You can decide whether requests from proxy servers to be accepted. If you want to prevent your website to be visible via proxies, select the Disallow option.
- Filter Action - The possible filter actions are to display 403 Forbidden, 404 Not found error messages or to redirect the visitor to an URL.
- Redirect URL - Here you can enter the URL where the filtered visitors should be redirected to.
In the Advanced Parameters there are few additional options you can configure according to your preferences.
- Module Class Suffix - A suffix to be applied to the CSS class of the module. This will allow an individual module styling.
- Invisible mode - By enabling it any output generated by the module is suppressed.
- Caching - Defines whether the module content will be cached.
- Cache Time - The period in minutes before the module is re-cached.
Note that you can add more than one jGeoIPFilter module to your pages in order to apply multiple rules to your website. In addition, bear in mind that you can use the standard Joomla functionality to apply those rules for certain pages only by selecting them from the Menu Assignment menu as shown below:
If you decide to display jGeoIPFilter on the front-end of your website, it will show your visitors their IP address, the country they are coming from and the flag of that country. Note that if you want to apply multiple filtering rules on your website, you can have only one of the modules displayed while the others can run in invisible mode.